It has been a crazy weekend full of emotional ups and downs, parties, a few cocktails and lots of food. Frankly, I am exhausted and can't wait to crawl into bed with a good book and fall asleep. But first, I must wrap up my Sunday the way I normally do by writing our Monday morning post. So tonight after a fun yet tiring weekend, I just realized that I am actually craving juice, green juice. I think my body is trying to tell me something...
I think I need a little detox. People do a juice fast/detox for a variety of reasons. Some want to lose weight, some want to cleanse their systems, some want to increase energy or gain an overall feeling of health and some just want to take in more fruits and veggies. You can find every sort of plan right here on the internet. Some last only a few days and some a few weeks.
For me, a simple juice detox lasts just one day and gives back some of what I feel I have lost over a busy weekend of appetizers and desserts. A short one-day fast is an excellent way to supply the live enzymes that speed up the body's cleansing process. It also helps to flush out the toxins in your body and reset your system. The juices contained in green drinks are assimilated directly into the body without stimulating or stressing the digestive system and are perfect for a short-term fast.
A few tips before getting started:
- Have plenty of organic fruits and vegetables available
- Peel any sprayed or waxed fruits or veggies you are using
- Drink your juice immediately if at all possible to get the most vitamins, mineral, enzymes and micronutrients available
- Start your day with a glass of warm water with lemon (and maybe a bit of honey)
- Prepare and drink your juice as needed throughout the day. (i.e. breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner)
- Drink water before each glass of green juice if you do not want to dilute it.
- End your day with a nice warm cup of herbal tea.
And most importantly, continue the next day with a healthy eating plan. Some holistic health professionals recommend a one day fast each week.