- Arsenicum Album - Person is restless, fearful, aching, and irritable. They are thirsty for sips of water and are better from warm drinks, worse from cold ones. They dislike the smell or even sight of food. They have burning pains here and there and usually feel worse after midnight.
- Bryonia - Person has a painful cough and pain in the throat and chest. They feel worse from even the slightest motion. They are irritable, quiet, and want to be left alone. They are usually very thirsty with dry mouth and lips.
- Euphatorium perfoliatum - Person experiences deep aching in the bones and even the eyeballs are sore. They may feel totally "wiped out," unable to exert the least effort. They are usually thirsty, especially as the chill begins to come on.
- Gelsemium - There is gradual onset of chilling, aching, lassitude, and fever. Person is not thirsty. They are persistently apathetic and indifferent to life. They lie quietly with eyelids drooping.
- Nux Vomica - This remedy is indicated when a cold has developed into influenza. The patient is irritable, chilly, sensitive to noises and odors, worse from cold or open air. They are better lying down and from warmth.
- Phosphorus - This remedy is for the person who doesn't even act sick. A child, for example, with a temperature of 104 degrees may play happily. Person may feel very weak. They are thirsty for refreshing ice-cold drinks, but may vomit as soon as the water is warm in the stomach.
That is an extensive list. We found Arsenicum Album and Nux Vomica helpful. If you are unfamiliar with homeopathics, look for them in your local health store or you can order them online at 1-800-homeopathy. For more information you can also check out the National Center for Homeopathy.
Bach Flower Remedies: Generally I think of using Bach Flower Remedies during times of stress or emotional problems, so I was surprised to find that they are also very helpful during the flu or other physical symptoms. This shouldn't be so surprising as we generally get "sick" after a period of mental, emotional, or physical stress.
Here is a list of the primary essences one should take as soon as the flu shows up.
- Clematis: This strengthens the resolve to stay healthy.
- Crab Apple: Promotes purification of the blood and helps divert the virus.
- Olive: Gives one reserves of strength.
- Walnut: Strengthens the immune system against pathogens
All of the above can be taken together or mixed in a bottle. Here is another list of complementary essences and you may choose up to two depending on your particular circumstances. (Only up to six essences should be mixed at a time).
- Chicory for a conspicuous craving for love or comfort.
- Elm for sudden exhaustion.
- Holly for groundless irritation.
- Mustard for an inexplicable bad mood.
- Water Violet to treat the need for quiet and the need to be left alone.
- Gentian in case of a prolonged illness or prolapse.
If you are unfamiliar with using Bach Flower Remedies, once again check your local health store as they usually sell them there. My local health store doesn't sell them, but I order them from Frontier. For more information you can also check out the Original Bach Flower Remedy site.
Hopefully this helps you the next time you or someone in your family is faced with the stomach flu! I know it was helpful here.