Friday, December 18, 2009

Handling Holiday Stress


I will admit it. I have been absolutely crazy feeling the past couple of weeks trying to get all of the holiday stuff done. I am running from place to place, forgetting things, feeling a bit overwhelmed and not taking the time to enjoy the season. Oh ya, and feeling guilty that my kids haven't visited Santa yet. Sound familiar?


If so, I think it is time for us all to take a deep breath and think about what we are doing and why we are doing it. Are you doing all of these holiday things because you feel obligated or are you doing them because you want to? Here are just some of my own suggestions (to myself) for making this time more enjoyable and fulfilling.



  • Make a list and check it twice. Take a little extra time, when you are feeling calm(ish) to make a list of all of the gifts you need to buy (even the tiniest things like a bottle of wine for someone) and put it all on one list. Keep it in your handbag and cross things off as you go. Then you are not always running around racking your brain trying to remember whatever it is you know you are forgetting.

  • Commit to the events you really want to be a part of. We just can't be in all places at all times.

  • Put off the things that can wait until after the holidays. Here in Michigan we all have a long winter ahead of us, save something for January.

  • If you want to make cookies, make cookies. If you don't, don't. This is a hard one for me. I want to do all the things I think the holidays should be about, but it is really more of a chore than anything else. This year my husband wants to make cookies with the girls. I think I will give them the gift of time together without mommy hovering. :)

  • Send cards if you want to send cards. I have a good friend that decided not to do Christmas cards this year because it was all getting to be too much. She is going to do a Valentine card with photos of her kids instead.

  • Make a stranger's Christmas bright. Pay for the car behind you in the drive-thru at Starbucks or do what my mom did. Go to a store that has layaway and pay it off for someone. What a great surprise it is for someone to get a phone call to come and pick up their stuff because it is all paid for by a stranger. Or help an old lady cross the street - whatever your good deed, you will feel good and so will someone else.

  • And, don't forget to take care of yourself...try to exercise, eat right 80% of the time, and enjoy this special time of year.

I truly believe that 'living a whole life' means more than eating organic or buying eco-friendly products. It means taking care of the whole you and your family.

I feel better now. I hope you do too,

Shannan


P.S. Don't forget to comment on Karla's Skoy Cloth Giveaway while you are here. Maybe we can make your day next week with a great gift.

1 comment:

Hanlie said...

I'm off to make a list! We're going away for a week, so aside from all the Christmas organizing and stress I still have to buy and pack for our vacation and make sure that the house is spotless (my dad is house-sitting for us.) Hectic!

This blog is for informational purposes only. Nothing in this blog is intended to replace the advice of a physician. We recommend consulting a physician before embarking on diet changes or a fitness routine. In addition, we recommend that you thoroughly research alternate points of view and make your own decisions as an informed consumer. You are ultimately responsible for your health.