Friday, December 5, 2008

Amazing Herbs





I love working with dried bulk herbs. I know that sounds odd, but the more I learn about herbology through my naturopathy course, the more I really appreciate the value of using whole herbs for both nutrition and natural healing.

From time to time, I will probably devote an entire blog to the virtues of one herb and I know you will be as amazed as I at what these little plants can do. Herbs can actually affect changes in the body to allow the body to heal itself. Herbs are usually very mild and require long-term use to affect change, but are one of the best ways to practice preventative medicine and increase your quality of life.

Another thing I love about using dried bulk herbs is that they are so inexpensive. I can buy a whole pound of dried herb for $5-$10 and it will last me for months, while a supplement with the same herb in it can cost $20-$30 dollars for a one month supply.

You might be wondering what to do with bulk herbs or how to use them. I find the easiest ways to use them are to make tea, add them to smoothies or sprinkle them on a salad. For tea, I just pour hot water over 1-2 teaspoons of herb and steep for at least 5 minutes or more. Shannan has a great smoothie recipe that I’m sure she will be sharing here on the blog and sometimes I just add a teaspoon of dried bulk herb in the blender to add a little more nutrition. Putting some herbs in a smoothie is a great way to get some added nutrition to your children as well. They won’t even know it’s in there.

If you are wondering where to purchase dried bulk herbs try
Frontier or Mountain Rose Herbs.

Now, which herb should I tell you about first…
-Karla

No comments:

This blog is for informational purposes only. Nothing in this blog is intended to replace the advice of a physician. We recommend consulting a physician before embarking on diet changes or a fitness routine. In addition, we recommend that you thoroughly research alternate points of view and make your own decisions as an informed consumer. You are ultimately responsible for your health.